The BasicsHow does the Affordable Care Act affect you?
Helping You Understand Your Choices
As Navigators, we’re available (at no cost) to help you:
- see if you qualify for financial help paying for healthcare insurance premiums (most people do!)
- meet with you one-on-one, face-to-face to help you through the steps to get insurance
- answer the questions that affect you personally (confidential and private)
- and continue to support you with your health insurance concerns throughout the year
What do you have to do – and when?
- Today: Make an appointment to sit down with a Navigator near you
- See if you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period to get health insurance now
- If you want health insurance beginning in a future year – you must apply and enroll between Nov 1 and Dec 15th of the year before – get help before the deadline!
Want instant savings on your monthly healthcare insurance premium?
Healthcare.gov estimated that about 8 in 10 of the uninsured who are eligible for Marketplace coverage qualify for financial assistance to lower the cost of their monthly premiums. These savings make healthcare affordable for people whose tax household MAGI (modified adjusted gross income) is between 100% and 400% of the Federal Poverty Level. Talk to your local ACA Healthcare Navigator so that you fully understand what your “tax household” and “MAGI” is – then use the chart below to see if you might qualify for instant savings!
And remember: Premium Tax Credits (PTC) and Advance Premium Tax Credits (APTC) – along with possible additional savings with Cost Sharing Reductions (CSR) are only available if you purchase Affordable Care Act Insurance through the Marketplace.
Get Covered. Ask Questions. Know your Rights.
Are you eligible for one of the Federal Marketplace health insurance plans and do you qualify for financial help?
Do you understand your options and are you being treated fairly?
Find out what you absolutely need to know about the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and get a quick estimate to see what the possibilities are for you.
Health Care Minutes
with Susan Wilson
Affordable Care Act Project Navigator
Council on Aging of Buncombe County
Premium Tax Credits
Help for Uninsured
There are still way too many people left without medical insurance. Some are among the poorest who are caught in the NC Medicaid Gap and do not qualify for any financial help. Others just can’t afford to buy insurance (even with subsidies.) We’ve listed some of the free and sliding-scale options in your county here.